History of the Dedham Historical Society & Museum
The Dedham Historical Society & Museum (DHSM) was founded in 1859 by a group of citizens concerned that the town’s history not be forgotten. The Society was incorporated for the “purposes of collecting and preserving such … records … and traditions as may tend to … perpetuate the history of New England and especially the town of Dedham.” The Society preserves, collects, and protects materials relating to all the towns making up the original 1636 Dedham land Grant, from Bellingham and Plainville in the south, to Natick and Wellesley on the northwest. When the Society began, Norwood and Westwood had not become separate towns, so the collections include many items from the “South Precinct” and the “Clapboardtrees Parish.”
The brick building at 612 High Street, Dedham, was built on the site of Dedham’s first post office, home of Jeremiah Shuttleworth. The property and a bequest for the construction were left to the Society by Hannah Shuttleworth, Jeremiah’s daughter and niece of Fisher and Nathaniel Ames. In 1888 the Shuttleworth house was moved. Architect Edwin J. Lewis designed the present two-story structure containing a lecture-display hall, basement storage area and Society office. In 1965 a second exhibition room was added with more document storage space beneath, and the earlier basement was modernized to contain an extensive historical and genealogical library. Today the Society keeps its documents, maps, and most fragile artifacts in a vault.
About the Society
The Society works within the community to establish a greater sense of appreciation for its history. The Dedham Historical Society & Museum is a charitable, educational institution, organized under Chapter 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. It is not a town department and receives no funds from local, state or federal government. It is completely supported through membership and private donations. In 2013 the Board of Directors voted to change the public name of the organization to the Dedham Historical Society & Museum. The new name reflects the importance of our museum and outstanding collection. The official name of the organization stays the same.
Please consider contributing to the Annual Appeal.
The Dedham Historical Society & Museum is a member of the following organizations:
- New England Museum Association
- American Association of Museums
- American Association for State and Local History
For more information about the Dedham Historical Society & Museum please call 781-326-1385 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Board of Directors
Andrea Gilmore, President
James Kaufman, Vice President
William Flanagan, Treasurer
Laurie Rabe, Recording Secretary
Johanna McBrien, Executive Director
Judy House, Education and Membership
Violet Hurst, Archivist
Kevin Corey, Docent
Kathy Foster, Landscaping
Paul Grant, Maintenance
Sue Linahan, Bookkeeper
Steve Manning, Accountant