Ames Tavern Sign, 1888 from the Dedham Historical Society & Museum Archives
Train map of the Norfolk Co. RR, 1847, from the Dedham Historical Society & Museum Archives
Invitation to a party, 1884, from the Dedham Historical Society & Museum Archives
Wanted/Reward poster for Jason Fairbanks, 1801, from the Dedham Historical Society & Museum Archives
Research and reference:
The library and archives of the DHS is an independent research facility. It collects, preserves, and provides access to records and materials relating to Dedham and Dedham history. All are welcome to visit and utilize the library and archives. Prior to visiting please familiarize yourself with the DHS Policies and Procedures.
Admission for Research:
- Members: Free
- Non-members $5 for 4 hours/$10 for one day.
- Spouses or guests who accompany the researcher are admitted for $5, regardless of their involvement in the research process.
- Youth under the age of 18 are admitted free when accompanied by an adult.
Research Services Provided by the DHSM Staff
- Members and non-members receive 30 minutes of free research by the staff. Research time after the first 30 minutes will be billed at $25 per hour.
- All reference requests should be emailed to: email@example.com due to staff limitations please allow two weeks for an answer on all requests
The DHSM research library contains over 10,000 volumes including standard genealogical and historical reference materials. Other resources include:
- Town of Dedham records
- Dedham street directories
- Files on the history of Dedham buildings
- Local genealogies and genealogical files
- Dedham High School yearbooks
- Massachusetts history: state, county, cities and towns
- Vital records of cities and towns
- Boston city directories
The Archives includes extensive Dedham related materials:
- Church and civil records
- Newspapers from 1796
- 18th – 20th century maps
- Journals, diaries, scrapbooks, photographs, postcards, and ephemera
- Social organizations and business collections including banks and turnpikes
- Military collection, particularly strong material from the Civil War and World War II
- Genealogical and family papers
Looking to get or use an image from the DHSM? Email the archivist at firstname.lastname@example.org for all questions regarding use, cost, and permission.
Interested in Volunteering?
The Dedham Historical Society & Museum is always looking for energetic, history lovers, and worker-bees alike to volunteer in the archives. If you are interested in learning more about volunteer or internship opportunities with us email: email@example.com