Research

RESEARCH SERVICES FOR THE

DEDHAM HISTORICAL SOCIETY & MUSEUM

LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES

HOURS: BY APPOINTMENT

Call: 781-326-1385 or email: library@dedhamhistorical.org

RESEARCH FACILITIES AND RESOURCES

The library and archives of the DHS is an independent research facility. It collects, preserves, and provides access to genealogical records and materials related to the history of Dedham from the 1600s to the present.

NOTE: Due to limited staff time and project expense, most of the Society records are NOT digitized.

Admission for Research: Admission is free for DHS members.

A DHS staff member will provide 15 minutes of free research time on the first visit by non-members. At the conclusion of this time, non-member researchers will be charged at the rates listed below.

  • Non-members $5 for 4 hours/$10 for one day.
  • Spouses or guests who accompany the researcher are admitted for $5, regardless of their involvement in the research process.
  • Youth under the age of 18 are admitted free when accompanied by an adult.

Research Services Provided by the DHS Staff

  • New society members who have joined within the calendar year receive one hour of free research by the staff. Additional research is billed at $15 per hour during the first year.
  • Non-members are billed at $25 per hour.

The time needed to respond to research inquiries is based on the ability of the researchers and the number of requests being handled.

RESOURCES

The library contains over 10,000 volumes including standard genealogical and historical reference materials. Other resources include:

  • Town of Dedham records
  • Dedham street directories
  • Files on the history of Dedham buildings
  • Local genealogies and genealogical files
  • Dedham High School yearbooks
  • Massachusetts history: state, county, cities and towns
  • Vital records of cities and towns
  • Boston city directories

Additionally, there are biographies of significant national and local men and women as well as volumes on the Revolutionary and Civil War.

The Archives includes extensive Dedham related materials:

  • Church and civil records from 1635
  • Newspapers from 1796
  • 18th – 20th century maps
  • Journals, diaries, scrapbooks, photographs, postcards, and ephemera
  • Social organizations and business collections including banks and turnpikes
  • Military collection, particularly strong material from the Civil War and World War II

Listed below are samples of Dedham families and some of the related archival materials held by the DHS.

  • AVERY FAMILY
  • BUSSEY FAMILY
  • CHALONER FAMILY
  • COBB FAMILY
  • DETHLEFS, DAVID GUILD
  • GUILD FAMILY
  • GUILD, AMASA
  • GUILD, JONATHAN
  • HOLDEN, BENJAMIN
  • METCALF FAMILY
  • THAYER, ANNIE RICHARDS
  • TISDALE, HENRY W.
  • WHITING FAMILY

AVERY FAMILY

On January 1, 1650 William Avery arrived in Dedham with his family including his wife Margaret and three children, Mary, William and Robert, from the parish of Barkham, England. Other children were born in Dedham, including, Jonathan, Rachel, Hannah, and Ebenezer. William was admitted as a townsman of Dedham and to the First Parish Church in 1650. He was granted land on East Street for his blacksmith shop. Commencement of the date of his medical practice is unknown. After Margaret’s death in 1678, Dr. Avery remained in Dedham until 1680 when he moved to Boston. In that same year, he remembered the Town of Dedham with a gift of sixty pounds for establishment of a Latin School. Avery family members continued to live in Dedham for many years.

INDIVIDUAL SUBJECT FOLDERS

  • William Avery

Account book 1708 1891

  • Jonathan Avery

Account book 1784 1827

Copy book 1759

  • Lucy Avery

Diary 1823

Letters received 1722

  • Walter Avery

Genealogical papers, bound 1873, 56 collections including extracts from records, wills, correspondence

  • Jane G. Avery

“Dedham Branch of the Avery Family” by Jane G. Avery Carter & Jessie P. Holmes, 1893 [2 c., annotated]

  • Myron Haliburton Avery

“Notes on the Genealogy of the Averys (Dedham Branch) of Lubec and Machias, Washington County, Maine” [copy of typescript]

BUSSEY FAMILY

INDIVUAL SUBJECT FOLDERS

  • Benjamin Bussey (1757-1842)

Estate papers: account books of his executors 184201861

  • Elizabeth Bussey Davis Steward

Letters 1808-1840 to her mother, Judith Bussey, (Mrs. Benjamin Bussey)

CHALONER FAMILY

The letters received by Martha (Chaloner) Church Cunningham and receipts for business transactions constitute the majority of the collection. Martha Church was the daughter of Benjamin Church. She was married to an apothecary, John Chaloner, and after his death to Major James Cunningham with whom she moved to Medfield and then Dedham. The correspondence, mostly between family members, centers on religion, family life, bankruptcy, illness, business transactions, and military service. The Chaloner Family Papers date from 1718-1791, the bulk from 1746-1774.

INDIVIDUAL SUBJECT FOLDERS

  • Benjamin Church1728-1794
  • Martha (Church) Chaloner Cunningham 1728-1794
  • John Chaloner1726-1765
  • John Chaloner 1748-1793
  • William (Billy) Chaloner1749-1802
  • Edward Chaloner 1751-1785

COBB FAMILY

Jonathan Holmes Cobb attended Harvard College and entered the law profession in Dedham in 1819. His other occupations included: editor of “The Village Register”, secretary and treasurer of the Dedham Institution for Savings, superintendent and central proprietor of a factory of sewing-silk; Register of Probate for Norfolk County from 1833 until 1879; and town clerk of Dedham from 1845-1875. He purchased the house and land at 18 Norfolk Street across from the Court House in 1821. John, Isabel and Abigail and were three of his children. Abigail Cobb married George Austin Guild, a jeweler in Dedham. John Doggett Cobb attended Harvard College and enlisted in 1862 with the 35th Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteers. He wrote “History of Thirty-fifth Massachusetts Regiment.” Upon finishing Harvard Law School, he became a lawyer, later a representative to the General Court in 1876 and 1877 and succeeded his father as Register of Probate for Norfolk County. In addition, he was a founder and president of the Dedham Boat Club. Isabel (Cobb) French married Frederick Halverson French. They had seven children. There are personal papers, business papers, military papers and journals from circa 1850. There are some records from the silk company. The collection ranges from 1830-1870.

INDIVIDUAL SUBJECT FOLDERS

  • Jonathan Holmes Cobb (1799-1882)
  • Abigail (Cobb) Guild (1837-1861)
  • John Doggett Cobb (1840-1930)
  • Isabel (Cobb) French (1835- 1924)

DAVID GUILD DETHLEFS (1922-2001)

David Guild Dethlefs was born to Louis Claus Dethlefs and Elsie Philbrick Guild, daughter of Henry Gardner Guild. He married Susan Swaim with whom there were 2 children, Susan and David, Jr. He later married Elizabeth Lynn Emerick. Dethlefs lived on Franklin Square for over 70 years.

After spending two years at Harvard University and graduating from the Boston Architectural School, Dethlefs worked at the firm of Royal Barry Wills of Boston and later started his own business. He served in the Navy during WWII and after the war returned to Dedham to serve as Building Commissioner, a member of the Historic Districts Commission, as well as a board member of the Dedham Historical Society.

Dethlefs worked on local projects including the Dedham Community House playbarn and remodeling several buildings in Dedham’s historic districts. Dethlefs was a skilled artist and the Society is fortunate to have a number of his drawings of historic houses in the collection. He drew many of the sketches for the Dedham Historical Society house tour program books in the early 1990s.

A Guild descendant, Dethlefs sought to preserve his family’s history. The DHS collection contains the 1930s will of Emma Guild, the widow of a Civil War veteran Amasa Guild, as well as the papers of Henry Gardner Guild. There are also documents on the reuse of the Norfolk County Jail, photographs from his time as building commissioner, and of the Guild family. The Dethlefs’ archival collection also includes the sermons and diaries of his father, the Reverend Louis C. Dethlefs, a Universalist Pastor in various parishes in Massachusetts, including Walpole, Norwood, and Medford.

Related family files include:

  • Reverend Louis C. Dethlefs (1912-1948)
  • Elsie Guild Dethlefs (1885-1980)
  • Arthur Wilder Thayer (1857-1934) and Annie Fisher Thayer (1858-1947)
  • Emma Guild (1846-1933) and Amasa Guild (1840-1907)
  • Henry Gardner Guild (1846-1912)

GUILD FAMILY

John Guild signed the covenant in 1637, was admitted to the church in Dedham in 1640, becoming a freeman in 1643. As an original proprietor of land, he owned property

In Medfield, Wrentham, and Natick. The Guilds have played various roles in the town, including as selectmen and town clerks. They were also distinguished for their military service. Aaron Guild from South Dedham, served in Lexington during the Revolutionary War, and Nathaniel Guild rose to the rank of brigadier general and was a town collector and treasurer in the early 1800’s. Captain Joseph Guild served in the Revolutionary War. Amasa Guild participated in the Civil War. This collection details military service, including a copy of the journal of Captain Joseph Guild from March 9, 1776. There is a copy of Aaron Guild muster roll and a Day Book for 1799 from the blacksmith shop of Amasa Guild. The Calvin Guild papers contain ledgers from 1822-1841, and an auction sale sign. In the Joel and Hannah Guild Papers is a Currier and Ives mourning lithograph. The Reuben Guild III folder includes his appointment as a captain in 1825.Miranda Guild’s contribution is a booklet of poems with wallpaper cover. These documents span circa 1775-1841.

INDIVIDUAL SUBJECT FOLDERS

  • Amasa Guild (1768-1802)
  • Calvin Guild (1775-1858)
  • Joel and Hannah Guild (1765-1842)
  • Reuben Guild III (1793- 1882)
  • Miranda Guild (1799 – 1873
  • Olive (Cheney) Guild (1800-1858)
  • Abigail Elizabeth Guild (1833-1927)
  • Aaron Guild (1728-1818)

AMASA GUILD

Amasa Guild served in the Civil War in the Union Army in Company F. of the 18th Massachusetts Regiment of Volunteers, attaining the rank of first lieutenant. There are military records pertaining to the quartermaster corps from 1864. Guild kept a diary in 1861 which is in this collection as well as correspondence concerning the return of the state flag. He was a charter member of the Charles W. Carroll Post 144, G. A. R.

The collection spans the years from 1864 to 1905.

INDIVIDUAL SUBJECT FOLDERS

  • Amasa Guild (1840 – 1907)

JOHATHAN GUILD

Guild was a successful photographer who did portraits, views and groups and documented Dedham. He framed items to order and did custom outdoor photography work at a studio at 575 High Street. He lived with his wife, Emma Beach at 47 School Street. A prolific photographer, the Dedham Historical Society owns many of his glass plate negatives. This collection holds his scrapbooks. Some are of Dedham, especially the houses, family and inhabitants. Other images are from his travels in Europe, New England and Canada. Many of the photographs are in the collection of his glass plate negatives, reprinted by the Society.

There are photographic postcards, calling cards, and trade cards. They range in date from 1880’s through 1920’s.

INDIVIDUAL SUBJECT FOLDERS

  • Jonathan Guild (1871-1940)

BENJAMIN HOLDEN

Holden was born in Dedham on 3/10/1728. From 3/31/1759 to 4/22/1760 he served 55 weeks and 4 days as a lieutenant at Fort Cumberland, Nova Scotia, under Captain Simon Slocomb. The DHS holds a typewritten ledger book of 117 pages copied from the original. It spans the years 1759-1760. Serving in the military was his career. Benjamin Holden was the officer who wrote the orderly book that details the orders issued at the fort. Some of the orders include: provisioning; discipline; relations with the Indians; rules regarding “spirituous liquors”; and mutiny.

INDIVIDUAL SUBJECT FOLDERS

  • Captain Simon Slocomb
  • Benjamin Holden

METCALF FAMILY PAPERS

Michael Metcalf (1586-1654)

Michael Metcalf was born on July 8, 1586 in, England. In 1636, due to religious unrest, he decided to leave with his family. A dornock weaver (a specialized weaving technique) by trade, Metcalf sailed with his wife, Sarah Ellwyn, nine children, and an indentured servant, Thomas Comberbach in 1637. In that same year he appeared on the town lists in Dedham, where Metcalf worked as an owner of clay pits on Dedham Island used for brick making. He is also listed as a selectman for one term, and at the end of his life as a schoolmaster from 1657-1661. After the death of his wife Sarah, he married Mary Pidge, and produced a total of 11 children. Metcalf died in 1654 at the age of 68. The Metcalf chair dated 1652, owned by Michael Metcalf, and created in Dedham, possibly by Houghton, is on display in the DHS Museum, as well as the Flanders chest that he transported from England.

INDIVIDUAL SUBJECT FOLDERS

  • Michael Metcalf documents of the 1600’s including copy of 1618 Freedom of the City of Norwich, 1637, land grant
  • Michael Metcalf Arithmetic book 1630
  • William Metcalf surveying text, 1636
  • Michael Metcalf memorandum book 1732
  • Joseph Metcalf physics book later owned by Samuel Dexter dated 1787
  • William Metcalf Latin grammar 1714

ANNIE RICHARDS THAYER (1858-1947)

Daughter of George Franklin Fisher and Mary Richards Fisher, Thayer was an active member of the Dedham community. She married musician and composer Arthur Thayer and they resided at 618 High Street where they raised their son, Arthur. Annie was a member of the Unitarian Benevolent Society, the Dedham Emergency Nursing Association, the Dedham Afternoon Club, and the Dedham Women’s Exchange. She had a creative side, writing articles about Dedham and using her artistic talents to sketch, paint and photograph the community.

INDIVIDUAL SUBJECT FOLDERS

  • Six photograph albums from 1880-1936. Of special interest are rare photographs of the filming of the 1918 movie “Anne of Green Gables” in Dedham. No copies of this film have survived.
  • Photograph collection also includes images of the March 1920 flood under the railroad bridge on Williams Street (now Harris Street)
  • Sketch dated July 16, 1869 of the Unitarian Vestry

HENRY W. TISDALE (1837-1922)

Tisdale was born in Walpole and raised in West Dedham. He was the first resident from Westwood to enlist for service with the Union in the Civil War. He joined the Thirty-fifth Regiment Company I in 1862. As a sergeant, Tisdale fought in many different battles including: the Battle of South Mountain where he sustained injuries; at Knoxville; and at North Anna where he was captured. While he remained incarcerated at the Confederate prisoner of war camp at Andersonville, Tisdale was recommended for the Congressional Medal of Honor, for his distinguished service.

The collection includes a typewritten copy of his civil war diary from 1862-1865 that had belonged to his daughter; a letter from Andersonville prison; his discharge paper; additional letters and photographs, including one of Henry Tisdale, as well as GAR memorabilia.

INDIVIDUAL SUBJECT FOLDERS

  • Henry W. Tisdale (1837-1922)

WHITING FAMILY

Nathaniel; Calvin; Caroline; Thomas; William; Isaac

Nathaniel: (1609-1683) Born in England about 1609, Nathaniel Whiting arrived in Dedham in 1641. He married Hannah Dwight in 1643, producing 14 children, ten of whom lived to maturity. Whiting obtained a grant for privileges on Mother Brook, near the site of the Old Boston Envelope Company on Maverick Street and constructed a mill for grinding corn. Shortly before his death in 1683, Whiting, along with James Draper, received the third mill privilege for a fulling mill, which remained in the Whiting family for over one hundred and eighty years.

Calvin: (1762-) Calvin Whiting, the son of Isaac and Rebecca Fisher Whiting was born in 1762, and married Elizabeth Fuller. A merchant and inventor, Whiting along with his partner Eli Parsons, created a patent for tin ware manufacture dating to 1804. In addition, Whiting created a loom for use in a woolen mill and received a patent in 1814. An act of the State Legislature authorized Whiting to bring water in pine logs from a large spring in Federal Hill to residents in Dedham Village in 1797. An inventive genius, he created much of the wool carding machinery for the Whiting mills. Whiting participated in town government, serving as a selectman for fourteen years.

Caroline: (1810-) Born in 1810, Caroline Whiting, daughter of John and Lucinda French Whiting, worked in education. She was a schoolteacher in Rhode Island as well as an assistant teacher in the Academy at Kingston in, Rhode Island. Sometime around 1835, Whiting had a private school in her own home and by 1839 she was the Preceptress at Lawrence Academy in Groton, Massachusetts. Through her perseverance much of the Whiting genealogical information in the archives has been preserved.

Thomas: (1786-1828) Thomas Whiting, the eldest son of Calvin and Elizabeth Fuller Whiting was

born in 1786 in Dedham. He became a merchant in Boston and later went on to engage in trade in New Orleans, Louisiana. A very successful businessman, he became interested in a cotton plantation. Whiting died of yellow fever in 1828 at the age of forty-two.

William: (1839-) William Whiting, born 1830, he was the son of Lemuel and Mary Gay Whiting, and was the last Whiting to own a mill.

Isaac: (1776-) Isaac Whiting was born in 1776 and the son of Moses and Sarah Gay Whiting. He authored a series of journals.

Individual Subject Folders

  • Calvin Whiting

Correspondence 1810 1839

Patents, 1806, 1814, with supporting information

  • Caroline Whiting

Diaries 1817-1827; 1834-1836

Genealogical information

  • Isaac Whiting

Journals